Monday, September 28, 2009

A Patriotic Poem Recital

On 16 September 2009, our school celebrated the 52nd National Day. In the evening, the students gathered at the hall to commemorate the event. The English Panel prepared some students from 1K12 and 2K13 to recite a patriotic poem, A Piece of Paper (see below). Three students recited the poem and a few others (at the background) constructed the national flag, Jalur Gemilang, while they were reciting.




A Piece of Paper


I took a piece of paper
It was white...
White - reflecting the purity
Deep within our hearts,
The heart of each and every Malaysian

In one corner, I drew a rectangle
And then, I coloured it blue
'Cause blue symbolises dignity
And it was with dignity that Malaysia broke
away
From the clutches of colonialism

Next, in the rectangle, I included a new moon
A crescent representing the National religion,
Islam
And also to signify light and hope
Light for all Malaysians, whatever colour or
creed
Hope that peace and harmony may forever
prevail.

Beside the crescent is a star
A star with fourteen points
Representing the different states, their people
Converging in the middle
Reflecting the bond, the unity in our nation

The crescent and the star are coloured yellow
Yellow- the colour of royalty
Pledging my unfailing loyalty to King and country
The symbol of the sovereignty
of this my homeland, the land that I live in and
love

Finally, I added the horizontal stripes
Again, fourteen - for the fourteen states
I painted seven of them red
And left the other seven white
Different, divergent but united we stand,
side by side.

Red is the colour of love
The love I have for my country
The love I have for my fellowmen
Together let us stand hand in hand
United and strong, as one people, one nation
one Malaysia.

(Source: Internet)







No comments:

Post a Comment